Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Helping Haiti: Not Right Now

A couple of weeks ago I posted a blog about feeling confused about how I – only one person – can contribute to the devastation in Haiti. I felt a little overwhelmed, wondering how anything that I could do could make any kind of difference (even though I get the concept that every little bit helps).

I figured I’d donate some money, in hopes that a little can make a difference, and go from there, in terms of figuring out other ways I can help.

Well, I’m still confused. I find both the fact that they need so much help and the outpouring of aid they are receiving somewhat overwhelming, in terms of where I fit in.

Recently, I’ve heard and read bits and pieces about the tremendous help they are receiving… financially, food and necessities, people opening their homes to orphaned children (although a very controversial issue right now), and so much more. It’s touching to see the outpour of kindness from so many people, especially considering the fact that we’re still trying to recover from a recession. It’s refreshing to see that kind of humanity again, even though the circumstances for it are very sad.

It’s going to take a long time for Haiti to recover and rebuild. It’s not going to happen over night. And I hope that the momentum continues over the long haul – for as long as they need the support - versus just as long as people are interested.

Because of my concern about the support they’ll have over the long term, I’ve decided to wait, and contribute in whatever areas I can at a later date. I believe it’s going to be like peeling back the layers – once the immediate needs are met, other issues will come up - and it will continue like this for a while.

So, as much as I wish I could do more, I’m going to hold off for now. And I look forward to doing my part when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment